Saturday, April 29, 2006

BA in Philosophy!

Well, I finished my final exam last night and now I have officially graduated from the University of Victoria. My exam only took me 1 hour and 15 minutes. It wasn't too difficult at all I found. I got home today after working at the Cathedral and just crashed and had a 1.5 hour nap. I was tired, but man, it's over! It feels kinda odd, and it still hasn't totally sunk in.

And so, what will I be doing with this new sense of freedom and free-time? More schooling! Well, sort of. I'm putting on a Medieval Philosophy Group this summer and we have 15 people signed up already! I have a feeling we'll be getting more people joining on in as well. Here's the schedule for the summer...

May 9 - Introduction to Philosophy - What is Philosophy, it's pursuit, it's value, and an introduction to philosophical terms and the heritage of Philosophy that influenced Medieval thought
May 16 - Greek Philosophy in One Night - Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus
May 23 - St Augustine - Metaphysics, The Human Person, Time
May 30 - St Augustine - Problem of Evil and Free Will (Including his theory on Grace)
June 5 - Pseudo-Dionysius and Boethius
June 12 - Islamic Philosophy - Ash'arites and Avicenna
June 19 - Islamic Philosophy - Al-Ghazali and Averroes
June 26 - St Anselm - Argument for the Existence of God (May get into St Thomas tonight too)
July 3 - St Thomas Aquinas - Metaphysics and the Human Person
July 10 - St Thomas Aquinas - Epistemology and Arguments for the Existence of God
July 17 - St Bonaventure - The Existence of God, Epistemology, Metaphyiscs
July 24 - John Duns Scotus - Argument for the Existence of God
July 31 - William of Ockham
August 7- The Mystics
August 14 - The Problem of Universals Part 1
August 21 - The Problem of Universals Part 2
August 28 (Not sure if we will have it this night)

There's so much to talk about, and I'm really only scratching the surface. But it'll be fun and I know everyone who's taking this is really excited about this, I wasn't expecting such a strong response to this group!

Anyways, I'm exhausted and am going to attempt getting to bed really early tonight.

-Harrison

2 comments:

DP said...

Good luck covering St. Thomas Aquinas on Metaphysics and the Human Person in one session. ;-)

I thoroughly enjoy the Thomistic Studies discussion group I'm involved in on this side of the pond.

Way to go for taking the initiative to start a philosophy group in Victoria.

Anonymous said...

Harrison,

If you or your group is interested in learning more about Bl. John Duns Scotus, there are two vlog series on AirMaria.com (The Golden Thread & The Cornerstone).

God bless you...